How long does it take to smoke a half chicken?
Smoke the chicken with indirect heat for about 3 hours or until it reaches 165 °F in the thickest part of the leg or thigh.
If your smoker has a water pan, use it.
How long does it take to smoke a whole chicken at 225 degrees?
Place the chicken in the smoker and smoke, maintaining a smoker temperature of between 200° and 225°F, replenishing the wood chunks or chips as needed, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of a leg registers 165°F, 3 to 5 hours.
How long do you cook a smoked chicken?
Smoked chicken will continue to cook once you take it out of the smoker. To prevent chicken from overcooking, take it out at 160°F so that it will reach the perfect target temp of 165°F by the time you are ready to eat. If you set your smoker to 250°F, estimate the cook time to be about 30 to 45 minutes per pound.
How do you split a whole chicken for smoking?
- Rinse chicken in cold water.
- Place on cutting board breast down and legs facing away from you.
- Use kitchen shears to remove backbone.
- Cut through “x” with sharp knife until it “pops” (optional)
- Remove keel bone (optional)
- Sprinkle my rub all over the inside of the chicken.