Resetting the Alarm
- Turn off the power to the smoke alarm at the circuit breaker.
- Remove the smoke alarm from the mounting bracket and disconnect the power.
- Remove the battery.
- Press and hold the test button for at least 15 seconds.
- Reconnect the power and reinstall the battery.
How do you get a smoke alarm to stop chirping without a battery?
1. Reset the Smoke Detector
- Turn off the power to the smoke detector at your circuit breaker.
- Remove the detector from its mounting bracket and unplug the power supply.
- Remove the battery from the smoke detector (if there is a battery).
- With the battery removed, press and hold the test button for 15 to 20 seconds.
How do you stop a hardwired smoke detector from beeping?
Why Does a Hard-Wired Smoke Alarm Chirp?
- Locate the reset button on the surface of the smoke detector.
- Hold it for 15–20 seconds and then release.
- Wait a couple of minutes and listen for the chirping noise again.
Will taking the battery out of a smoke detector stop the beeping?
Removing the battery from a smoke alarm, also called a smoke detector, won’t set the unit off and start the fire alarm beeping. Instead, it will likely do the opposite and disable the unit. Because of this, there is really only one reason for you to ever remove the battery and that is to replace it with a fresh one.
Do you have to turn power off to change smoke alarm battery?
You will have to take your smoke detector down from its mounting on the ceiling. If your detector is hard-wired into your house’s power system, you should turn the power off at the fuse box first. Not all hard-wired smoke detectors will have a backup battery.