How To Clean Up Smoke Damage After A Fire?

To remove soot and smoke from walls, furniture and floors, use a mild soap or detergent or mix together 4 to 6 tbsp.

tri-sodium phosphate and 1 cup household cleaner or chlorine bleach to every gallon of warm water.

Wear rubber gloves.

Be sure to rinse surfaces with clear warm water and dry thoroughly.

Is the smell of smoke after a fire harmful?

Besides carbon particles, lingering smoke odors after a fire indicate the presence of variety of harmful substances. Gases from wood smoke causing a “camp fire” smell include acetic acid, benzene, carbon monoxide (CO), formaldehyde, formic acid, heavy metals, nitrogen-oxides (NO2), phenols, sulfur dioxide (SO2).

What’s the best way to clean smoke damage?

To clean smoke damage, start by removing loose soot from the walls with the hose attachment of a vacuum cleaner or by wiping it with a dry chemical sponge. Next, use a rag soaked in diluted TSP solution to wash the soot stains from the wall one section at a time. Then, rinse the area with a wet rag.

Can smoke damage be removed?

After you’ve removed as much soot as possible with the dry-cleaning sponge, grab a clean rag. You can use commercial soot / smoke remover (follow the manufacturer’s directions), rubbing alcohol, white vinegar or paint thinner. Soak the rag in your preferred cleaner, and wipe the walls throughout the damaged room.

How do you clean dishes after a fire?

How To Clean Dishes In A House Fire –