Resetting the Alarm
- Turn off the power to the smoke alarm at the circuit breaker.
- Remove the smoke alarm from the mounting bracket and disconnect the power.
- Remove the battery.
- Press and hold the test button for at least 15 seconds.
- Reconnect the power and reinstall the battery.
How do you get a smoke alarm to stop chirping without a battery?
1. Reset the Smoke Detector
- Turn off the power to the smoke detector at your circuit breaker.
- Remove the detector from its mounting bracket and unplug the power supply.
- Remove the battery from the smoke detector (if there is a battery).
- With the battery removed, press and hold the test button for 15 to 20 seconds.
Why does the smoke detector keep beeping without battery?
A beeping alarm means that there is a problem with the unit, which typically is a dead or dying battery. The battery is necessary for proper operation. Removing the battery does not stop the beeping on most devices.
Will removing battery from smoke detector stop chirping?
Removing the battery from a smoke alarm, also called a smoke detector, won’t set the unit off and start the fire alarm beeping. Instead, it will likely do the opposite and disable the unit. Because of this, there is really only one reason for you to ever remove the battery and that is to replace it with a fresh one.
How long will a smoke detector chirp before it dies?
Usually, when a smoke alarm or carbon monoxide alarm is chirping (one quick little beep every 2 minutes or so), it means the battery is dying.